Casa Pascoli Museum

At the foot of Monte Castelvecchio and close to the village of Caprona is the eighteenth-century villa, once belonging to the Cardosi-Carrara family, in which Giovanni Pascoli chose to live beginning in 1895, first renting it, then buying it permanently in 1902.

In this secluded and lonely place with the appearance of a small castle, Pascoli arrived with the help of his friend Carlo Conti from Barga who had invited him to visit the Valley del Serchio. He wrote some of his most important collections of poetry in this house: "Primi Poemetti" (1897), "Canti di Castelvecchio" (1903) and "Poemi Conviviali" (1904).

The villa became a national monument in 1934 and in 1953, after the death of his sister Maria, the last custodian of the Pascoli property, it was transferred as a legacy to the City of Barga and currently houses the "Casa Pascoli" Museum.

The structure is arranged over three floors and is surrounded by a vegetable garden, garden and chapel. Pascoli's books and library with 12,000 volumes, the archive, the manuscripts, the collection of letters and handwritten documents are housed there. Currently, all are open to the public allowing visitors to soak up the serene atmosphere in which Giovanni Pascoli lived the last years of his life.


Casa Pascoli Museum, studio
Casa Pascoli Museum, room
Casa Pascoli Museum, covered loggia