There is little historical information about this town perched on rock among the mountains. Its remote position set it apart from upheavals that for centuries characterized the surrounding territory.
In the centre there is a small chapel dedicated to the Holy Annunciation, while the main parochial church dedicated to Abbot St. Anthony was built in the small town of Varliano, perhaps around 1300, and was under the parish of St. Peter of Piazza al Serchio.

Historical notes

In medieval times the village was under the control of the Dalli nobles, a family from Lombardy that from its castle administered a fair amount of territory, but in 1229 decided to sell out to the city of Lucca. Nevertheless, a branch of this nobility continued to reside here, guarding the fortifications, until Castruccio Castracani chased them from the lands.
Giuncugnano, united with the nearby village of Glabri, was only marginally affected by these events and did not endure much damage even when the land came into the hands of the Florentines following the collapse of the rule of Paolo Guinigi. During this period of uncertainty and the inability of the government of Lucca to protect their borders and their subjects, the inhabitants of this town, like others in the Garfagnana, relied spontaneously on the protection of the Marquis of Ferrara Lionello of Este, who was very happy to extend his domains even to this part of the Serchio Valley. Although not acceptable to the Lucchese authorities in the valley, this protection was ratified in 1446 and decreed the definitive end of the control of the Republic of Lucca over most of the Garfagnana region.