Castle of Casabasciana

Mentioned for the first time in 1165, the castle settlement of Casabasciana has been destroyed and reconstructed numerous times over the centuries as a result of the rebellion of its people against the Government of the Republic of Lucca.
Among the most significant sites of Casabasciana is the splendid old parish church of Pieve Vecchia, a significant example of Romanesque architecture. Located in the locality of Sala, separated from the main town, its interior is composed of three aisles marked by capitals decorated with plant motifs and anthropomorphic figures.
During the 16th century, the Church of Saints Quirico and Giulietta took the place of Pieve Vecchia in the parish administration. Here you can admire a wooden sculpture by Francesco Valdambrino depicting the Annunciation (14th-15th century) and the late Baroque paintings by Giovanni Domenico Lombardi (Last Supper and Martyrdom of Saints Quirico and Giulietta). Just outside the village is the Oratory of Our Lady of the Assumption, known locally as the “Murorotto”, or “Broken Wall” (12th century), which has a beautiful coffered ceiling.
Of the original Castle of Casabasciana only a few recognizable traces remain visible such as the entrance Porta Ombrici and some parts of the walls, which are now incorporated in various houses.


Castle of Casabasciana, view
Castle of Casabasciana, castle entrance