Castle of Gioviano

The settlement of Gioviano, dating back to before 1000, is located on a hill 285 metres above sea level and still preserves its ancient medieval structure.
The parochial church, dedicated to Santa Maria Assunta, was enlarged and conserved frescos by Pellegrino Lamberti, a painting of the Assumption and two ovals on the main altar. Recommended is a visit to the Oratory of San Rocco, dating from the 16th century, and the Oratory of San Bartholomew, a Romanesque church that over the centuries has been subjected to various renovations and reconstructions. From the “Prata”, or field, near the parish church, you can admire the splendid panorama of the Serchio Valley.

Historical notes

The first mention of the settlement of Gioviano is in a document dated 801, which refers to a “villa” in the town of “Iuveriano”. There are no sources that document the existence of the castle and in texts available to us the settlement is always indicated by the terms “loco”, “villa” or during the second half of the 12th century “comunis”. The only allusion to the presence of a permanent garrison in the town dates from 1331.
Beyond the scarce documentary information, there is limited data from archaeological investigations, according to which we can only attribute to the possible fortifications a stretch of wall dating approximately from the 11th-12th century.


Castle of Gioviano, bell tower
Oratory of San Rocco