Castle of Montefegatesi

Montefegatesi's position allows it to enjoy spectacular views of the Valfegana; Tereglio castle and the Pitturita fortress are also clearly visible, the latter built a short distance from Montefegatesi.

It is not clear when the castle was built but there was certainly already a fortress between the eleventh and twelfth centuries. Today you can see the northern perimeter, the fortress in the southeast of the largest fortification, the plaque that commemorates the presence of the "Tramontana" gate and part of a side door in square blocks of sandstone.

The most important place of worship is the Church of San Frediano, which assumed its current cross-shape following restructuring work carried out in 1771. Inside there are two boards, which were originally part of a triptych, from the end of the fifteenth century attributed to either Vincenzo Frediani or "Pittore di Paolo Buonvisi" representing the Madonna with Child and Saints Vito and Biagio and a wooden statue from the fourteenth century of an Enthroned Madonna and Child. At the top of the village, located in a scenic spot, there is a monument to Dante (1908). From Montefegatesi, crossing two partly dirt roads, you can reach the Nature Reserve of Orrido Botri and the Prato Fiorito.

Historical notes

The first evidence of the village dates back to 983 when the village is listed among the dependencies of the parish of Controne. Subsequently Montefegatesi was governed by the Corsena, a family linked to the Porcaresi, and in 1245, following the struggles between the city of Lucca and the lords of Versilia and Garfagnana, it was assigned to Lucca at the behest of Emperor Federico II.
Upon the cessation of the domination of Pisa, the territory was subject again to the city of Lucca and on this occasion a castellan for the fortress of Montefegatesi was appointed.

After the end of the Guinigiana dominion, the centre passed to the Florentines but a few years later (1441) the fortress was part of the Vicariate Val di Lima of Lucca and it was restored. The fortress was finally destroyed in 1613 when Montefegatesi found itself at the centre of the war between Lucca and Modena.


Castle of Montefegatesi, access entrance
Castle of Montefegatesi, tower detail
Castle of Montefegatesi, castle keyhole detail