The small village of Cocciglia is situated on top of a rocky hill separated from the south-western slopes of Mount Piano. The hill is surrounded on three sides by deep ravines, excavated in part by the Scesta stream on the west side and the Lima stream, which skirts the mountain to the east and south via the canyon known as Strette di Cocciglia.
Of note is the old Church of San Michael, which was mentioned in valuations of the Diocese of Lucca in 1260 and was beneficiary of a rather conspicuous annuity, also confirmed by records of tithes in the years of 1276 and 1387.
Worth a visit is the 16th century Oratory of San Rocco, along the Brennero motorway at Ponte Nero, if only to admire the gorges dug into the rock by the river Lima.

Historical notes

The locality “loco Cocciglia” was mentioned as early as the 10th century and certainly between the 11th and 13th centuries came under the aegis of several members of the Porcaresi family. Cocciglia, however, is never mentioned in sources as a fortification except once when Giovanni Sercambi refers to the settlement using the term “fortress” in his Chronicles.


Cocciglia, access entrance
Cocciglia, remains of the fortifications
Cocciglia, San Michele a Matriceto church remains